When we’re hurting, we expect good medical treatment from those whose job it is to help. That doesn’t always happen. It’s a hard pill to swallow. We hate to think that doctors can be wrong, but they are, and it happens more than anyone would like to think. These mistakes can be deadly when they occur on the operating table.
Believe it or not, most people don’t move forward with medical malpractice lawsuits. Out of a million residents in New York state, only an average of 85 claims are paid out annually. Why? Sometimes people don’t recognize the signs of malpractice, so they don’t realize they’re a victim of it until the statute of limitations has passed. Here are a few of the most common signs:
- Pain after surgery. If the pain doesn’t go away when everything else seems to have recovered, there’s a small possibility that a surgeon left a piece of gauze or even an instrument inside you. It happens!
- Operating without obtaining consent. Doctors are only allowed to do this when the patient’s life is threatened and there isn’t time to seek out consent to perform a dangerous procedure. If there was time but you weren’t informed of the risks, or a doctor mischaracterized the level of risk of a procedure, then you have a case.
- More visits to the doctor. Misdiagnosis is one of the most common mistakes a doctor will make, and it often results in an unusually high number of visits to the practice. Not only can this cost you extra money, but it can allow a disease time to become deadly. It’s not a bad idea to seek out a second opinion if your doctor can’t seem to find the cause of your discomfort.
- Improperly prescribed medications. Taking the wrong medications isn’t just bad for you, it can make an illness worse. It’s also possible a doctor might prescribe the wrong dose, which can lead to terrible results.
- Anesthesia mistakes. The job of an anesthesiologist is a difficult one. Calculating a patient’s anesthesia is dependent on a number of complicated factors including, age, weight, part of the body, dietary supplements, over the counter drugs, prescriptions, smoking, alcoholism, and more. If you wake up on the table, it can be traumatic.
- If a doctor admits to a mistake… This is a rarity, but sometimes the conscience gets the better of us. You have the right to compensation when doctors make mistakes with life-altering consequences, and you should document everything your doctor says when a mistake occurred. If they admit to a mistake, contact a lawyer immediately.